We work both in a laboratory environment and in the field. We also carry out field trials in which we test techniques, strategies and tactics as well as training personnel, for example from the Armed Forces, in detection and decontamination.
FOI’s work in this area thus covers:
- The development of measurement methods and computer simulations for determining human internal and external doses.
- Laboratory for the testing of instruments for determining surface contamination of various materials including skin.
- Laboratory for the testing and validation of radiation protection instruments where we can vary the preparation type, strength and geometry.
- Sweden’s only mobile laboratory for the measurement of radioactive substances in humans.
- One of the Swedish Radiation Safety Authority’s three mobile field laboratories for the detection of deposition and the identification of radiation sources.
Our competence is utilised by a range of authorities, for example within the Swedish Radiation Safety Authority as part of the emergency preparedness system and in their internal crisis management organisation where we form part of the national expert group for decontamination, NESA. We also participate in the NATO Armament Group Joint Radiological and Nuclear Defence sub-group and we are also open to countries which are members of the Partnership for Peace.