FOI’s Studies in Asian and Middle Easterm Security program studies political, military, economic, and social development in Asia and the Middle East. The project is forward-looking and analyses security developments and broad strategic trends in the two regions.
The geographical areas that the project continuously follow are:
- Northeast Asia with focus on China, Japan and the Korean Peninsula
- South Asia with focus on India and Pakistan
- Middle East with focus on Iran, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Israel, Iraq and Syria
The project also aims to maintain a certain ability to analyse the following areas:
- Central Asia, including Afghanistan,
- Southeast Asia including Australia
Thematically, the project scope is wide and tracks developments in defense and foreign policy, conflicts, external actors' interests and presence in the region as well as the role of domestic politics among regional powers. The project is also studies other factors affecting security policy development, such as finance, energy and demographics.
The focus is on issues of particular relevance to Sweden and Europe. Among the program's clients are the Swedish Ministry of Defense and Armed Forces.