Strategic Outlook is a recurring, forward-looking collection of FOI reports, highlighting questions of great strategic importance for policy in the domains of defence, security, and foreign affairs.
The articles in Strategic Outlook build on research and analysis in diverse topics of strategic importance for “the defence and security policy debate.” The report is a result of cooperation between researchers and analysts at FOI. The first edition of Strategic Outlook was released in 2009.
Read the report
The theme of Strategic Outlook 8 is “Sweden's total defence - challenges and opportunities.”
Offprints from Strategic Outlook 8
- Sweden’s total defence – global trends and new challenges. Samuel Bergenwall and Carina Gunnarson.
- Prerequisites for the total defence then and now. Maria Lignell Jakobsson.
- No fast track towards civil defence. Carl Denward.
- Creating commitment and capability for total defence. Bengt Johansson.
- Total defence, information sharing and new interfaces. Ann Ödlund and Matilda Olsson.
- Sharing sensor data improves management of crises, terrorism and heightened state of alert. Maria Andersson, David Lindgren, Peter Nilsson, Åsa Berglund and Ola Svenonius.
- Long-term challenges for Sweden’s materiel supply. Per Olsson.
- Who delivers if war breaks out? – On the business sector, security of supply and the future total defence. Jenny Ingemarsdotter and Jenny Lundén.
- Synthetic biology – opportunities and challenges for the total defence. Fredrik Ekström, Jonas Näslund och Per Stenberg.
- Cyber defence – skill needs practice. Tommy Gustafsson och David Lindahl.
- Antagonistic electromagnetic threats to civil defence systems. Sten E Nyholm, Tomas Hurtig, Kia Wiklundh and Sara Linder.
- Artificial intelligence – opportunities and challenges for Sweden’s national security. Christer Andersson, Tove Gustavi and Maja Karasalo.
- Fake news images and genuine resilience. Niclas Wadströmer, David Gustafsson and Patrik Thunholm.
- How we can protect Sweden’s security-sensitive IT services. Anders Elfving and Anton Dahlmark.
- FOI and the needs of the total defence. Eva Mittermaier.