Briefings Russia and Eurasia
The Russia and Eurasia Studies Programme publishes briefings on current events at regular intervals.
- RUFS Briefing No 52. June 2021Who´s afraid of Nizhny Tagil? Protest potential in industrial Russia.
FOI Memo 7551. By Elin Parkman Smirnova.
- RUFS Briefing No 51. June 2021Why Russia´s National Projects Went Out in the Cold. FOI Memo 7531.
By Maria Engqvist.
- RUFS Briefing No 50. Mars 2021 Lawfare: Ukraine´s War against Russia on the Legal Front. FOI Memo 7516. By Jakob Hedenskog, Petra Jud.
- RUFS Briefing No 49. December 2020 The end of the second Karabakh War: New realities in the South Caucasus. FOI Memo 7405. By Jakob Hedenskog, Aron Lund, Johan Norberg.
- RUFS Briefing No 48, Oktober 2020 Propaganda by Proxy: Ukrainian oligarchs, TV and Russia's influence. FOI Memo 7312. By Jakob Hedenskog and Mattias Hjelm.
- RUFS Briefing No 47. Juni 2020 The Belarus-Russia Union State: Troubled Integration in Pandemic Elections. FOI Memo 7168. By Jakob Hedenskog.
- RUFS Briefing No 46. Juni 2019 Belarus defends sovereignty: getting out of the Russian media siege. FOI Memo 6773. By Alesia Rudnik
- RUFS Briefing No 45. Juni 2019 Ukraine: The new president calls for snap elections, but will they change anything? Memo 6774. By Jakob Hedenskog
- RUFS Briefing No 44. January 2019 Russia's (not so) Private Military Companies. FOI Memo 6653. By Nils Dahlqvist
- RUFS Briefing No 41. December 2017. Russia Before the Presidential Election 2018: Stable instability. FOI Memo 6297. By Carolina Vendil Pallin
- RUFS Briefing No. 40. Maj 2017. Russia’s Military Strategy and Force Structure in Kaliningrad. FOI Memo 6060. By Fredrik Westerlund
- RUFS Briefing No. 39. April 2017. After Saint Petersburg: Belarus-Russian Relations Back on Track? FOI Memo 6049. By Jakob Hedenskog
- RUFS Briefing No. 38. December 2016. Armenia: Caught between a Rock and a Hard Place. FOI Memo 5937. By Eugene Kogan
- RUFS Briefing No. 37. December 2016. Regional implications of the elections in Moldova and Georgia. FOI Memo 5914. By Jakob Hedenskog
- RUFS Briefing No. 36. November 2016. Economic and Technological Constraints on Russia’s Naval Ambitions. FOI Memo 5851. By Richard Connolly
- RUFS Briefing No. 35. Maj 2016. The Interests of Russia and Turket in the Nagorno-Karabakh. FOI Memo 5693. By Jakob Hedenskog & Kaan Korkmaz
- RUFS Briefing No. 34. Februari 2016. Challenges abound for Tajikistan. FOI Memo 5640. By Erika Holmquist
- RUFS Briefing No 33. January 2016. A weakened Moldova enters the Russian orbit. FOI Memo 5608. By Jakob Hedenskog
- RUFS Briefing No. 32. December 2015. The Prospects and Limits of the Russia-China Partnership. FOI Memo 5510. By Hiroshi Yamazoe
- RUFS Briefing No. 31. November 2015. Russia's Strategic Mobility and its Military Deployment in Syria. FOI Memo 5453. By Roger McDermott
- RUFS Briefing No. 30. October 2015. The Presidential Elections in Belarus in the context of the Ukrainian Crisis. FOI Memo 5422. By Jakob Hedenskog
- RUFS Briefing No. 29. September 2015. Russian Strategic Deterrence - Beyond the Brinkmanship? FOI Memo 5398. By Gudrun Persson
- RUFS Briefing No. 28. August 2015 The threat of the Islamic State to Russia's North Caucasus and Central Asia. FOI Memo 5383. By Jakob Hedenskog and Erika Holmquist.
- RUFS Briefing No. 27. April 2015 - Ukraine's volunteer battalions- advantages and challenges. FOI Memo 5312. By Margarete Klein, SWP
- RUFS Briefing No. 26. January 2015 - Kazakhstan after Crimea: 'you cannot choose your neighbours'. FOI Memo 5246. By Erika Holmquist
- RUFS Briefing No.25. December 2014- Putin's Annual Address: "We are strong and we believe in ourselves". FOI Memo 5175. By Gudrun Persson and Carolina Vendil Pallin
- RUFS Briefing No. 24. September 2014- What is War? Ukraine and the legal definition of war. FOI Memo 5075. By Carina Lamont
- RUFS Briefing No. 23. May 2014 - West´s Sanctions against Russia: Grand Strategy in the Making? FOI Memo 4933. By Mikael Eriksson
- RUFS Briefing No. 22. April 2014 - Russia and Ukraine: military-strategic options, and possible risks, for Moscow. FOI Memo 4904. By Johan Norberg and Fredrik Westerlund
- RUFS Briefing No. 21. February 2014 - Ukraine returns to violence: Squaring off at the EuroMaidan? FOI Memo 4847. By Jakob Hedenskog
- RUFS Briefing No. 20. September 2013- Russian Military Policy in Asia - A Study in Paradox. FOI Memo 4580. By Stephen Blank
- RUFS Briefing No. 19. August 2013 - Russian History - A Matter of National Security. FOI Memo 4542. By Gudrun Persson
- RUFS Briefing No. 18. March 2013 - Can the Kremlin Control the Cossacks? FOI Memo 4406. By Per Enerud
- RUFS Briefing No. 17. January 2013 - How some of Moscow's Middle East interests could create problems for Russia. FOI Memo 4362. By Johan Norberg
- RUFS Briefing No. 16. October 2012 - The October Elections in Russia as a Test for Putin’s Regime. FOI Memo 4142. By Nikolay Petrov.
- RUFS Briefing No. 15. September 2012 - The Political Aftermath of Pussy Riot: A sowing of dragon’s teeth. FOI Memo 4132. By Carolina Vendil Pallin.
- RUFS Briefing No. 14. July 2012 - SCO "Peace Mission" 2012 Promotes Security Myths. FOI Memo 4040. By Roger N. McDermott.
- RUFS Briefing No. 13. June 2012 - An Attack on the Iranian Nuclear Programme - some possible Russian considerations. FOI Memo 4039. By Johan Norberg.
- RUFS Briefing No. 12. May 2012 - Putin 2.0: Redefining Russia's Military Priorities for the 21st Century. FOI Memo 3977. By Roger N. McDermott.
- RUFS Briefing No. 11. February 2012 - The Post-Putin Era Has Started. FOI Memo 3909. By Lena Jonson.
- RUFS Briefing No. 10. November 2011 - The Russian Elections - Putin Inc. out of sync? by Carolina Vendil Pallin.
- RUFS Briefing No. 9. October 2011 - The Tymoshenko Trial and Ukraine’s Balancing Act between Russia and the West, by Jakob Hedenskog.
- RUFS Briefing No. 8. June 2011 - Russian science: In peril but out of focus, by Fredrik Westerlund.
- RUFS Briefing No. 7. January 2011 - Nuclear disarmament after New START, by Pavel Podvig.
- RUFS Briefing No. 6. December 2010 - The Presidential Elections in Belarus: Same same, but different! by Jakob Hedenskog.
- RUFS Briefing No. 5. October 2010 - Russian Nuclear Power Doubles in Size, by Susanne Oxenstierna.
- RUFS Briefing No. 4. June 2010 - Kyiv’s Rapid Drift Back to Moscow, by Jakob Hedenskog.
- RUFS Briefing No. 3. February 2010 - Russia’s Military Doctrine – Expected News, by Carolina Vendil Pallin and Fredrik Westerlund.
- RUFS Briefing No. 2. January 2010 - The Ukrainian Presidential Elections – All Oranges Sold Out, by Jakob Hedenskog.